Shelly Marsh is Randy and Sharon's daughter and Stan Marsh's older sister. Shelly has been voiced at different times by Mary Kay Bergman, Mona Marshall, Eliza Schneider, and April Stewart. She is extremely ill-tempered, often beating Stan up and calling him and his friends "turds". She is based off of Trey Parker's older sister Shelly Parker.
It is suggested that Shelly was not always angry and that she only gained a temper after she got braces. The braces gave her a dowdy appearance and gave her low self-esteem, causing her to pick on her brother Stan. No one believed Shelly was beating up Stan, due to the fact when their parents were around she would act sweet and innocent (although Shelly whacked Stan a few times in front of her parents but received no punishment).
Despite the increasing use of the Marsh family over the recent seasons, Shelly's role has not expanded, and many episodes that feature her brother and parents prominently continue to exclude her. In "You're Getting Old", she is not seen at her brother's birthday party and only briefly appears at the end, looking sad as her mother packs after she divorces Randy.
Shelly loves watching television. Her favorite shows include Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Friends. She is also a fan of Russell Crowe, but all these things fall short of her favorite pastime: making Stan suffer. She also enjoys listening to Britney Spears records. In "Over Logging", there were posters of horses in the back of her room. This could mean she likes horses. Another poster of Sadie Dakota (a parody of Hannah Montana) can also be seen. She also enjoys the singer Lorde and in "Royal Pudding", it is said that she is a Den Leader in Girl Scouts.
Shelly has also been shown to be exceptionally strong, even being able to pick up an entire piano in "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics" and drop it on Stan and Kyle. In "An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig", she was able to subdue Stan's mutant clone, which was wreaking havoc upon the town. In "Pre-School", when the boys turned to her as a last resort when the sixth graders couldn't stop Trent Boyett, implying that Shelly alone is stronger than all of the sixth graders combined.
- Child Abuse: In some episodes, Shelly can be seen beating up Stan and his friends and calling them "turds".
Shelly is rarely seen with any friends, implying that she is a loner. In "Cat Orgy", she has a 22 year old boyfriend (Skyler Morse). According to her nobody her own age will go out with her because she's too ugly. However, in "Cat Orgy", she is talking to a friend named Carrie and in "#REHASH", she asks to go to the Women of Rock concert with her friends Kelly and Stacy.
Shelly wears a grayish-white shirt and pink pants. She has shoulder-length, messy brown hair with bangs. She has bad dental problems and has to wear orthodontic head gear, giving her a very unappealing appearance. Because of that, she is usually scowling or frowning. She has a distinct adenoidal, somewhat masculine, slurred voice, where she breathes heavily through her mouth and nose, and has a lisp. On some occasions, she has been seen with her pajamas on; her pajama shirt is dark pink and her pants are light pink. For special occasions she wears a pink dress. At funerals, she wears a variation of the pink dress, but it is black and dark red.
Shelly Marsh is filled with a lot of anger and hatred, mostly caused by the head gear she has to wear. Her favorite way to vent this anger and hate is to beat up her younger brother, Stan. The anger also comes from the fact she is not very good-looking, with or without the head gear, meaning nobody likes her at school. This issue is explored in the episode "Cat Orgy", where she confesses this to Cartman.
In addition to revealing her vulnerable side during "Cat Orgy", Shelly has also been found to show compassion for her little brother Stan (usually after he plays the Brother-Sister-Family Card) when all other choices have been exhausted. A perfect example of this is the episode "Pre-School" where Stan and the others are threatened to be killed by Trent Boyett, Shelly vows to protect her little brother because killing him is her job.
She insists however that Stan come clean about the lies that made Trent want to kill him in the first place, showing that Shelly also cares about the way Stan is growing up and tries to teach him how to be a responsible person.
Stan is Shelly's younger brother. In early seasons, Shelly would often intimidate her younger brother with threats of physical violence which she would never hesitate to follow up on. Shelly does not hesitate to extend her acts of violence to Stan's friends, in "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics", she smashed both Kyle and Stan over the head with a piano.
Although Shelly's violent tendencies have appeared to taper off in later episodes, she did start punching him repeatedly in "Over Logging", however, when she thought of how her online boyfriend might worry for her if they could no longer e-mail each other. To date, this episode is the only instance in which her violence towards Stan is noticed by their parents, as Randy then runs over and tells Shelly to calm down. Shelly and Stan may have resolved their sibling rivalry, as Shelly has not shown any violence towards Stan since this incident.
She is Shelly's mother. Of all the grownups in the family, Sharon seems closest to Shelly.
Randy is Shelly's father. He is usually seen interacting with Stan, but he and Shelly have spoken to each other several times. She was frustrated by Randy recording ridiculously everyday family antics, saying "Turn it off, Dad!". Randy has shown to love her very much as seen in "Broadway Bro Down".
He is Shelly's paternal grandfather. She seems to love him a lot, because when she thought Stan was trying to kill him, she grew even angrier than usual at him. Though in PC Principal's Final Justice she aimed her gun at him when Randy says to take care of him(despite that he means to look out for him) meaning she doesn't really care much about him like she used to.
He is Shelly's uncle. Not much interaction happens between them.
She was Shelly's maternal great-aunt. Aunt Flo gave Shelly a television/CD player/surround sound home theater for Halloween, before she was killed by the evil goldfish she gave Stan.
No one liked Shelly at school, which led her into a relationship with a twenty-two year old wanna-be musician, Skyler, who did like her, if only because he wanted to have sex with her. He broke up with her after she refused to have sex him in "Cat Orgy", leaving her depressed.
After Skyler broke up with her, she became depressed and it took Eric Cartman, the boy she had been baby-sitting when Skyler broke up with her, to make her realize that she did not need him and that he was a jerk. The two had been enemies, but soon became friends after getting revenge on Skyler.
However, in subsequent appearances, their mutual understanding appears to have deteriorated, and Shelly treats him just as she treats any of Stan's other friends. She refers to him as a "fat turd".
In the Season Eleven episode "Over Logging", Shelly had a new boyfriend over the internet for some time. She believes that the emotions between herself and Amir are real. At the end of the episode, it is revealed that he does care for her, as he also traveled to California so that he and she could resume chatting online. There, they also end up meeting in person, and promise to e-mail each other that night.
Given her subsequent involvement with Larry Feegan, it can be assumed this relationship ended.
Shelly befriends Larry Feegan in "Broadway Bro Down" after she stands up to his parents. They begin to spend a lot of time together, playing Settlers of Catan and eventually going to see the play Wicked together. However, Randy, knowing that Shelly will end up giving Larry a blowjob if they go to see the play, breaks in and floods the performance. Larry Feegan is killed in the resulting chaos, leaving Shelly heartbroken.
- "An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig" - Shelly's first appearance. She has to wear braces now and she beats Stan up because of it.
- "Death" - Shelly is horrified when Stan holds a rope which is choking their grandfather.
- "Chickenpox" - Shelly has chickenpox and is miffed that Stan's going to stay in the same hospital room as her when he gets it.
- "Cat Orgy" - Shelly babysits Cartman, and dates a young man named "Skyler" at the same time.
- "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics" - Shelly sings "I Saw Three Ships" on the piano and smashes Stan and Kyle as they tease her in the background.
- "Are You There God? It's Me, Jesus"- mentioned
- "Quintuplets 2000" - Seen in the living room at her house and in the audience at the Cirque du Cheville show.
- "The Wacky Molestation Adventure" - Shelly gets arrested when Stan is dancing and she tries to punch him.
- "Fun with Veal" - She asks her mother to beat Stan.
- "The New Terrance and Phillip Movie Trailer" - Shelly needed tampons but when the boys forgot to bring them to her blood ended up all over the whole first floor.
- "Red Sleigh Down"
- "Fat Butt and Pancake Head" - She appeared watching Kyle Broflovski's presentation.
- "Pre-School" insists however that Stan come clean about the lies that made Trent want to kill him in the first place
- "All About Mormons" - She didn't want to be a Mormon.
- "Trapped in the Closet"
- "Le Petit Tourette"- Seen at Whistlin' Willy's.
- "More Crap" - Shelly is sickened when she sees the size of her father's latest crap.
- "Over Logging" - Where she needed internet to contact her second boyfriend Amir.
- "Pandemic" - As with the rest of the family, she gets increasingly frustrated by her father videotaping everything that happens in the Marsh household.
- "Eat, Pray, Queef" - Talks about queefs at the dinner table, even joking about a "Great Barrier Queef".
- "It's a Jersey Thing" - She is seen having dinner with the Jersey's and seems to have a disgust.
- "Crème Fraiche" - She is seen having breakfast.
- "You're Getting Old" - She is seen at the end of the episode with the whole family.
- "Ass Burgers" - Seen watching television.
- "Broadway Bro Down" - She begins a short lived relationship with Larry Feegan.
- "Cash For Gold" - Seen visiting her Grandfather with the rest of her family.
- "A Nightmare on Face Time" - Seen working at and eventually burning down her father's Blockbuster.
- "Gluten Free Ebola" - Seen with Stan, watching her parents throw away all their food that contains gluten.
- "The Cissy" - Seen in her room listening and dancing to Lorde music.
- "The Magic Bush"
- "Cock Magic" - Complains about Randy hogging the bathroom.
- "#REHASH" - She goes to the "Women of Rock" concert, only to be deeply disappointed in Lorde. She tears down her Lorde posters in her room and cries.
- "HappyHolograms"- Randy tells her that he is Lorde.
- "Where My Country Gone?"- Seen watching the Canadians leave.
- "PC Principal Final Justice"- Seen at the dinner table, and seen in the crowd of people standing in front of the Whole Foods Market.
- "Member Berries"- Seen at the dinner table.
Shelly is seen as an enemy in her room. When you first go into her room without Stan as a buddy, she threatens the player. When the player goes with Stan, she can be battled. After she is defeated, she befriends the player, stating that at least he doesn't fight like a girl. Surprisingly, Kenny's Charm ability works on her.
- In the 1992 short Jesus vs. Frosty, the original Stan mentions having a sister living in Minnesota.
- Her name is alternatively spelled on the main site and in official scripts as both "Shelly" and "Shelley".
- As all of Stan Marsh's family members are named after members of Trey Parker's family, Shelly takes her name from his sister.
- As of Season Seventeen, Shelly has had a speaking role in 23 episodes.
- In "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut", Shelly is able to close her mouth while talking.
- ↑ Mentioned in "Cash For Gold"
- ↑ ""South Park" An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig (TV episode 1997)". IMDb.com.
- ↑ ""South Park" Something You Can Do with Your Finger (TV episode 2000)". IMDb.com.
- ↑ ""South Park" Douche and Turd (TV episode 2004)". IMDb.com.
|Kern / Kimble / Marsh Family|