Satan is the ruler of Hell, and he often finds his way up to the town of South Park to carry out his nefarious, and occasionally harmless, schemes. He is openly homosexual. Despite being evil incarnate, he has a compassionate and vulnerable personality.
He appeared as the main antagonist later anti-hero in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, along with his gay lover Saddam Hussein, but has also appeared in sympathetic roles in episodes such as "Probably", "Hell on Earth 2006" and "Freemium Isn't Free".
Satan is openly homosexual, as he was in a relationship with Saddam Hussein, later with a new lover, Chris, and yet another lover in "Best Friends Forever". Despite this, he does have a biological son named Damien. Satan is not content with his lot in eternity, and has in the past tried to take over the surface world.
He is not without compassion, however, and has shown that he has a good heart several times in the past, as when he granted Kenny a wish for helping him with his love life in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. He is actually shown to be very submissive and sensitive, likely the result of all the abuse he suffered at the hands of his previous boyfriend Saddam Hussein. Although he may seem dark and evil at time, his darker moments are just acts, and he is genuinely a nice person.
Satan is an accomplished singer, has had a boxing match with Jesus once, and has showcased other talents several times in the past. His voice sounds similar to that of Mr. Garrison, though it's much deeper and lower. This is more obvious at the end of the movie when he speaks with Mr. Hat's voice by saying, "Sure, Mr. Satan".
Plots and Schemes
- In "Damien", he had a gambling scheme, in which he took a dive to Jesus in a boxing match, in order to collect the heavily favored prize winnings from the bookie. He succeeded in his scheme and returned to Hell.
- In South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, prophecy which foretold his conquering of the surface due to the intolerance brought into the world by Mothers Against Canada. He succeeded, although his plot was hijacked by his then boyfriend, Saddam Hussein, who makes all the earth bow down to him. The plot fails after Saddam is defeated by Cartman. Satan finally works up the courage to stand up to Saddam, thanks to Kenny's advice, so he throws Saddam down from cliff, impaling him on a spike. As thanks for the help from Kenny, he pulls his demons back to hell and grants Kenny his wish for everything to return to normal, not before the residents of South Park invite Satan to pay another visit sometime.
- In "Best Friends Forever", he tried to conquer heaven in a war. He nearly succeeded in doing so but was thwarted by Kenny McCormick, who was commanding the armies of heaven with a golden PSP.
Satan is a large red, humanoid creature with heavy musculature. He wears black shorts, black hooves, and a black belt with blue trimming and a skull belt buckle. He has yellow horns on his head and yellow eyes. He knees point outward when we walks or stands. The design of Satan is modeled after the mythological Greek Satyr, half goat/half man.
Saddam Hussein is Satan's abusive gay lover in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. They are also seen together in "The Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka". Saddam Hussein is incredibly abusive towards Satan, often manipulating him into going along with his plans. After Kenny helps Satan realize that Satan doesn't need Saddam, the pair stop seeing each other regularly. However, despite being involved with a new partner, Chris, Satan still harbored some feelings for Saddam, which manifested in "Probably".
Chris was Satan's new boyfriend in "Probably". Their relationship is much more mutually friendly, as Chris was kind and helpful to Satan. However, Satan's submissive personality led him to seek out a dominant partner, similar to his old boyfriend, Saddam, which led to Chris and Saddam repeatedly killing each other for Satan's love. By the end of the episode, with some advice from God, Satan decides that he doesn't need either Chris or Saddam.
- Satan shown in South Park to be homosexual may be due to some people, mainly Christians, who consider homosexuality to be a sin.
- He makes a cameo in "Mecha-Streisand", in Barbra Streisand's hideout in the background, in a portrait posing with Barbra.
- If you look at Satan's stomach, instead of having a six-pack, he has a "four-pack". If you look at the design of the four-pack, you can see this was intentionally a joke.
- "Damien" - Challenges a fight to Jesus.
- "Mecha-Streisand" (cameo)
- "The Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka"
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut - Married to Saddam Hussein in Hell.
- "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics" - Sings the song "Christmas Time in Hell".
- "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?"
- "A Ladder to Heaven" (mentioned)
- "Woodland Critter Christmas" (mentioned)
- "Best Friends Forever" - Sends an army of people from Hell onto Heaven.
- "Hell on Earth 2006"
- "Freemium Isn't Free"