Officer Barbrady is a police officer, with very bad vocabulary. He is extremely incompetent at his job, usually being incapable of solving the crimes he is legally obliged to investigate. Despite this, he actually does maintain the balance of peace in South Park as shown in "Chickenlover" when shortly after he retired the city fell into chaos.
For the first six seasons, Officer Barbrady was the only Police Officer in South Park, as shown in "Chickenlover". However, during the seventh season, Sergeant Yates and several other officers were added, starting in "Lil' Crime Stoppers" and Officer Barbrady became the Police Chief. Since then, he has appeared in the background, and as shown in "Die Hippie, Die" and "Erection Day", it has seemingly been so long his voice has actually changed. However, his voice seems to have returned to normal once again in "The Snuke".
It appears that the decline in his role made him a lot more competent, as in "Quest for Ratings", he arrests a pharmacist for selling drugs to minors, in "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub", he questions the evidence for a "religious cult" in Mr. Mackey's house party, he realizes his mistake when he gives Jimmy directions to a sleazy part of town, shows apparent discomfort after helping to kill Britney Spears in "Britney's New Look", and told Randy that South Park was being ravaged in "Pandemic". He also tried to stop the Obama supporters from disturbing the peace in "About Last Night...", but fails and his patrol car gets tipped over by rowdy supporters.
Barbrady was illiterate until the episode "Chickenlover" when the Chickenlover enacted a plot to make him read by having sex with chickens. Barbrady was also sent to school to learn how to read by the Mayor. The Chickenlover made Barbrady learn where he would strike next by reading the clues left at the crime scenes. When the arrest was finally made, Barbrady acted gratefully to the Chickenlover, but had to arrest him nonetheless for being a gallophile. Chickenlover then gave him the book Atlas Shrugged which Barbrady thought was "a load of crap" and made him realize reading is "a waste of his time".
He wears a traditional blue police officer's uniform, and black sunshades. He appears to be slightly overweight. Barbrady is likely near deaf; he wears a hearing aid and speaks in a loud, expressionless manner. Of note, he has not been seen without the sunglasses except during the ending of "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe", but his eyes, mouth and cheeks are changed due to the alien control and so it was unknown what he looked like without his sunglasses until "Naughty Ninjas" where he was forced to give up to give up his police belongings including his sunglasses.
Officer Barbrady fits the personality of an oaf: unintelligent, willing to use unnecessary force, etc. He is illiterate and illogical, and is prone to make foolish decisions, often making the incident even worse.
In "Chickenlover", Barbrady is revealed to have a wife. She is mentioned again in "Spookyfish". However, she has yet to appear and is seldom mentioned. In "Naughty Ninjas", a picture of her is shown hanging in Barbrady's apartment she never appeared physically in the episode which suggests that she either divorced Barbrady or died.
In "Naughty Ninjas", he is shown to live alone with his very elderly sick dog who he called by an affectionate name.
Many episodes which feature both Barbrady and Mayor McDaniels, it is implied that they are in a relationship - in "Pinkeye", they are seen "not wearing any pants" (Barbrady in lingerie) and McDaniels shirt open, insisting to Chef it has "nothing to do with the Japanese mafia". In "Summer Sucks", McDaniels is at her desk when suddenly Barbrady's voices comes up asking where the "little man in the boat" is. McDaniels tells him to keep looking and at the end of the scene, swoons when he says he's found him. Despite this, in "Spontaneous Combustion", McDaniels is seen reading "Jugs" and in "The Coon", Cartman questions the Mayor's sexuality, implying that their relationship is secret.
Also, despite the fact that Barbrady is generally portrayed as a bumbling oaf, the Mayor still tended to call on him up until Season Seven. This is due to the fact that until then he was the only officer in the town.
In Naughty Ninjas it is revealed that Barbrady takes care of an elderly female dog.
- Officer Barbrady doesn't drink coffee, as seen in the episode "Gnomes". He instead prefers to get hit in the face by a cat swung by the tail.
- At the South Park Studios FAQ, it's mentioned that Barbrady has been too busy taking reading classes to do police work.
- Officer Barbrady has a Long Island accent, particularly noticeable in "Erection Day".
- Barbrady did not appear at all in seasons 10, 13, 16, and 18.
- As of Season Seventeen, Barbrady has had a speaking role in 45 episodes.
- Ironically, Season 19 is the first time Officer Barbrady and Sergeant Yates engage in dialogue.
- It has been implied that Barbrady is the towns Elected Sheriff.
- In Season 19, he has been shown working hand in hand with the rest of the South Park PD.
- "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" - He helps Farmer Denkins with his cows.
- "Weight Gain 4000" - Tells Mr Garrison to go to the book depository for 'looking' at Kathie Lee Clifford. Later Arrests Mr. Garrison for attempted murder.
- "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride" (cameo)
- "Pinkeye" - Disbelieves Chef's theory about the zombies.
- "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo" - He tells Kyle it's illegal for Jews to eat Christmas snow.
- "Tom's Rhinoplasty" (cameo)
- "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut"
- "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut"
- "Chickenlover" - When He gains literacy, he helps the boys solve a mystery.
- "Ike's Wee Wee"
- "Conjoined Fetus Lady"
- "Summer Sucks"
- "Roger Ebert Should Lay Off the Fatty Foods"
- "Chef Aid"
- "Cow Days" - Kyle declared shenanigans against the rigged ball game, and Stan called him "Officer Buttbaby".
- "Spookyfish" - He questions "Sharon Marsh" about the murders, and ends up getting tied up in the Marshes' basement for the rest of the episode.
- "Prehistoric Ice Man"
- "Spontaneous Combustion"
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (cameo)
- "Jakovasaurs" - Participates in a game show against Jakov.
- "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub" - He is part of the stakeout; his first act of competency, as he questions the ATF's evidence.
- "Cartman Joins NAMBLA" - He ignores the request from NAMBLA to release child molesters.
- "Scott Tenorman Must Die" - He unintentionally distracts Farmer Denkins.
- "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" - He and other officers confront Rob Schneider, as Kenny McCormick, trying to kiss Milly.
- "Toilet Paper" - He interrogates Josh.
- "Grey Dawn" - He arrests Grandpa Marsh.
- "Douche and Turd " - One of the townsfolk spitting on Stan when he refused to vote.
- "Quest for Ratings" - He arrests a pharmacist.
- "Die Hippie, Die" - He keeps Cartman in Jail for kidnapping Hippies.
- "Erection Day" - He accidentally sends Jimmy to a ghetto part of the town.
- "The Snuke" - He alerts the rest of the Police to Cartman's plan.
- "About Last Night..." - Tries to stop the Obama supporters from disturbing the peace but fails, his patrol car is also tipped over.
- "Medicinal Fried Chicken" - He asks Cartman if everything is all right in an alley and it's at the shoot out in Billy Miller's house, which he ends up killing his mom.
- "200" - Tries to make people leave in orderly fashion. He makes many appearances but has few lines.
- "It's a Jersey Thing" - Part of the team that goes to Skeeter's Bar and finds Snooki.
- "Ass Burgers" - Finds Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny skipping school to find out what Asperger's (the syndrome Stan has in episode) has is and brings them back to class.
- "Let Go, Let Gov" - Admits to masturbating to Game of Thrones at the DMV.
- "The City Part of Town" - Seen eating with Sergeant Harrison Yates in the new SoDoSopa shopping district.
- "Naughty Ninjas" - His first major role in 12 years. He is fired from the police force for shooting a a 6 year old Latino boy. After he is brought back in, he is fired a second time, this time for pulling his gun out on the boys, despite the request from Mayor McDaniels to do so.
- "Sponsored Content"- He saves Jimmy from the GEICO employee attempting to put advertisements in his newspaper.
Priest Maxi | Mayor McDaniels | Dr. Alphonse Mephesto & Kevin | Mitch Murphy | Nelson
Skeeter | Skyler | Scott Tenorman | Darryl Weathers | Dr. Schwartz | Sergeant Yates