|May 2017 Featured Article Winner|
Liane is a good-natured individual but with a definite edge to her. Her voice is usually kind and soft (but sounding even more sweet in the 4th through 7th seasons when she was voiced by Eliza Schneider) and her actions are usually to aid others, particularly her son. She is also a great cook, as implied by Stan and Chef in "Damien".
However, there has been many implications that Ms. Cartman is as racist and anti-Semitic as Eric, who on numerous occasions (at least during the early seasons) quoted his mother on saying offensive and politically incorrect statements regarding black people, gays, and Jews. Despite this, Liane herself has not vocalized these opinions on the show, so it is certainly possible that Eric was lying. An example can be seen in "Good Times with Weapons" when Cartman claimed his mom took him to see the movie The Passion in argument that proves Jews are sneaky liars.
In accordance with her sweet-natured, motherly image, she was originally frequently shown giving people her baking (usually cookies), even in situations where it is inappropriate. For example, in "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" she gives a plate of cookies to Officer Barbrady at the Drunken Barn Dance, and behind the Cartmans' couch is a picture of her and Cartman by Mount Rushmore, in which she is holding a plateful of cookies.
She is named after Liane Adamo, the ex-fiancée of South Park co-creator Trey Parker. The engagement was broken up because she reportedly committed infidelities on Parker during their engagement. Hence, the promiscuous nature. The character of Liane Cartman is one of the characters (another was the horse Liane from Parker's Cannibal! The Musical) Parker created as a bitter "tribute" to her.
Hermaphrodite and Eric's ParentageIn "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" it was stated that Liane Cartman was a hermaphrodite, meaning that she had both male and female sexual organs and that years ago during the Drunk Barn Dance, she proceeded to have sex with a series of men and women. After it was revealed that Liane was Cartman's father, speculation rose as to who his mother was.
However, in "200", Eric Cartman and Mitch Conner go to Mr. Garrison and Mr. Hat who revealed that the events of "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" were a fabrication and the results for the paternity test were tampered with. However the identity of the father was not told until 201, in which Cartman was captured by his arch-foe Scott Tenorman, who then revealed that Cartman's real father was Scott's own father, Jack Tenorman, a Ginger who played for the Denver Broncos, and who Cartman had arranged to be killed, made into chilli, and fed to his half-brother Scott. It is explained that Liane had questioned whether or not to tell Eric, not because of her own personal feelings, but because the Broncos had been having a really good year, and she along with the rest of the town did not want to distract from the game season.
Liane shows great deference to her overweight son Eric, and has been seen on numerous occasions bowing to his will, constantly spoiling him rotten. She also ignores his obesity (often saying that he is "just big-boned") and will usually give him some normal food smothered in junk food, as seen in the pilot episode "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe", giving Cartman a, "chocolate chicken pot pie with icing on top". Of course, Eric's obesity is at least partly genetic. It is seen that Eric and his mother have a great bond with each other. However, since the episode "Tsst", she has begun to grow resistant to his whining and his demands — seen in "Go God Go" and "Go God Go XII", where she is quite stern with him when he shows great impatience regarding the release date of the Wii console. She shows further resolve in "Coon 2: Hindsight", "Mysterion Rises" and "Coon vs. Coon & Friends", during which she punishes Cartman for his behavior and violent actions against his friends, particularly Clyde and Bradley. She also shows further resolve in the episode "HUMANCENTiPAD", where she refused to buy Cartman an iPad because it was way too expensive and then refused to head back to Best Buy to get a Toshiba Handbook due to Cartman's unacceptable behavior at the store.
Liane rarely raises her voice (the most prominent occasion being in Cartman Gets an Anal Probe, in which she suggests he go out and play with his friends and then shouts "don't be difficult Eric!" when he protests), and the only discipline she dispenses is a very rare slap on the head when Eric embarrasses her in public; and infrequent grounding such as when he tried to exterminate the Jews, or when he saw the Terrance and Phillip movie two times then accidentally made Kenny set himself on fire. She has shown admonishing him not to pick his nose (to which he insists he's only scratching it). In Coon 2: Hindsight, Liane not only punishes Eric for being bad, every time he talks back to her, she would raise her voice. In "HUMANCENTiPAD", Liane again shows a strong stance against her son, as she is seen yelling at Cartman for loudly implying that she was "fucking him" (leading others to believe he means sexually, when in truth he means figuratively). She seems to have no issue yelling at him in public anymore as she berates Cartman's misbehavior on the Dr. Phil show.
Liane has also supposedly instilled in Cartman some of his bigoted behavior towards the Jews, gingers and black people. Cartman was often heard to quote his mother's supposed beliefs, much to the surprise of his friends and the towns people. Liane however has never vocalized these opinions on camera, leading to questions of whether or not she really said them or if Cartman misquoted her or made it up. However, in Pinkeye, Liane created for Cartman an Adolf Hilter costume for Halloween, which at the time Cartman had no idea who Hitler was. In "Cherokee Hair Tampons", she told her her son to stay away from Kyle because he had AIDS, when Kyle actually had kidney failure. This implies some sort of bigotry or at least ignorance on Liane's behalf. In "Ginger Kids" she screamed when she realized that Cartman turned ginger (though Kyle, Stan, and Kenny dyed his hair and whitened his skin to make him look ginger).
Despite her sweetness, she is extremely promiscuous. Quite early on, it was stated that Ms. Cartman was actually Eric's father, as she was supposedly born a self-fertilizing hermaphrodite with both female and male genitalia (though Dr. Mephesto implies in "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" that she no longer has the latter). However, in the episode "201", it is revealed that she actually isn't a hermaphrodite, and that the town of South Park lied in order to protect the Denver Broncos.
In the early seasons, she was very sexually active and regularly pursued this activity. She was reputedly a crack whore, and has taken part in German scheisse movies. She also had no issue with commencing sexual relations with complete strangers, instead usually inviting them to the home as frequent visitors. This appetite is not strictly for men, for it is hinted in "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" that she had intercourse with Ms. Crabtree, Mayor McDaniels, and Sheila Broflovski.
Although Liane used to constantly have sex, and ignores the presence of anyone around her to sexually persuade men into her bedroom, it is unknown if Cartman knew the full extent to what his mom really did behind closed doors. Eric has come across various numbers of porn sites and so-called "family videos" gone awry, but seems to either ignore the fact that his mom is a slut or looks as it to be just his sweet, loving mother conned out of her own environment, such as when he explains that his mother told him she was young and needed money when she was featured in Crack Whore Magazine in the episode "Pinkeye", to which Stan retorts, "Cartman, those photos were taken a month ago!" Cartman knows not to complain to his mother, probably already figuring out that if he makes her feel bad about hurting her son, she will eventually turn on him and no longer spoil him in the natural way. Even in the episode "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" and "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" where it is revealed to Eric that his mom has had sex with the entire town, he still has no conversations with his mom about her secret life. Also in "Trapper Keeper", she ends up having sex with the cyborg from the future, Bill Cosby.
In later seasons, her character seems to have changed. For instance, her working as a prostitute has only been occasionally referenced since the fourth season. She is now generally shown to be more responsible with Eric, especially in "Tsst" and "Go God Go". However, in "The Death of Eric Cartman", Cartman mistakes his mom's screams of pleasure for cries of sadness, when in reality, she is receiving sex from a plumber whom she invited to her house. Aside that instance, Ms. Cartman's infidelities have remained virtually unmentioned between the fourth season and "200".
In "South Park: The Stick of Truth", if you hit Liane with a weapon, she will either yelp or moan in amusement or say "Oh, my!" which reveals Liane's sexual appetite.
It can be seen again in "South Park: The Fractured But Whole" when she decides to start again her "Tutoring classes" in the town, in which she ask to The New Kid to help her spreading the tutoring business cards in Skeeter's Wine Bar and giving it to three men.
Liane is about average height for an adult female South Park character. She wears a turquoise sweater, and brick red trousers. Her outfit slightly resembles that of Cartman's, in that her sweater is the same color as his toque, and her trousers are like his coat. Her hair color may also be compared to his pants, then again her son is a brunette as well. She has long brown hair which is usually tied back in an old-fashioned bun design, and wears a rosy lipstick, and usually has a sweet, motherly expression on her face.
For special occasions, she wears a black dress with gray lining on the top and large cleavage window. In "Tonsil Trouble", she wears a red version of this dress. When dressed for bed, she wears either a dark cyan nightgown or a pink robe, and often wears a green facial mask.
When outside of the house or re-entering the house, she is often seen wearing a light brown trench coat over her usual outfit, especially in newer episodes from the fourteenth and fifteenth seasons. It is usually buttoned up with a belt around her waist, but sometimes she leaves it open. She wears it most prominently in "HUMANCENTiPAD" where she wears it for nearly the entire episode.
- To see images of Liane Cartman, visit Liane Cartman/Gallery.
Liane understood a German-speaking man in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, indicating that she may be of German descent, though it may just be that she learned the language while filming the scheisse films, which are German.
Her family is shown for the first time in the episode "Merry Christmas Charlie Manson!", where she, her son, and the rest of the main four, go on a trip to Nebraska to visit them for Christmas. Most of her relatives appear to be similar in matter to her son; all fat, with the same speech impediment and catchphrases such as "Kickass!" and "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!" "No, (Pet's name) that's my Pot pie. No, (Pet's Name) that's a Bad (Pet's Name)!!!". The family is seen again in the beginning of the episode "Cartmanland" at her mother's funeral — where she leaves her estate (valued at $1,000,000) to Eric, citing that all the other family members would have spent it all on crack.
- Her parent's names are Harold (maybe deceased) and Mabel (deceased).
- Her brother is named Howard.
- Her sister is named Lisa.
- Her two nephews are named Fred and Elvin
- She has a teenage niece named Alexandra
- And she has a grandmother named Florence.
Various other unnamed members of the Cartman clan were shown in the episode, as well as in "Cartmanland".
In terms of friends, she seems integrated into the circle of parents around the town often seen interacting with Sharon Marsh, Sheila Broflovski, Mrs. McCormick and the other parents when they congregate. However, the episode "Tsst" seems to imply that Liane has few or no friends, and that her servitude to her son is a psychological attempt to make up for that. Given how rarely she is seen alone with the other mothers - usually while the children are playing or as a group - it's possible that she does not consider them friends due to their relationships being more related to their children.
- In the episode "Jakovasaurs", she is seen smoking crack, which is stated by Cartman to be "an old joke". In Season 15's "Poor Kid", she tells police she has not done drugs in a long time.
- It has been said that "Liane" is the name of the longtime lover and ex-fiancee of Trey Parker. When he found of her repeated infidelities on him, he was inspired to do this character who promiscuous and a drug addict. Not to mention an inept mother.
Liane had a major role early on in the series and was the most prominent of the boys' parents, but over time she gained less spotlight as Randy took on that role. She has had a speaking role in every season to date, as well as in the movie and several video games.
- "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" - She gives Cartman sneaks.
- "Volcano" - Waits with her son for Jimbo Kern to pick him up for their camping trip.
- "Weight Gain 4000" - Goes to buy her son some "Weight Gain 4000 supplement for Cartman.
- "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride" (cameo) - Seen in the crowd watching the football.
- "Death" - Tells Eric that Terrance and Phillip is naughty and he should not watch it.
- "Pinkeye" - Decorates the Cartman Residence for Halloween.
- "Starvin' Marvin" - Her son asks her if he can keep Starvin' Marvin (character), which she agrees with.
- "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo" - Seen watching the school play.
- "Damien" - Seen at Cartman's party.
- "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" - Is nervous about telling her son who his biological father is.
- "Terrance and Phillip in Not Without My Anus" (cameo) - Seen on Television.
- "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" - Revealed to be Eric's father, much to her son's shock.
- "Ike's Wee Wee" (cameo)
- "Conjoined Fetus Lady" (cameo)
- "City on the Edge of Forever (Flashbacks)"
- "Roger Ebert Should Lay off the Fatty Foods" - Repeated tells Cartman not to pick his nose.
- "Chickenpox" - Sends Cartman to Kenny's house in order to get him affect with chickenpox.
- "Cow Days" (cameo)
- "Merry Christmas Charlie Manson!" - Drives her son and The Boys to her mother's for the Christmas holidays.
- "Rainforest Shmainforest" (cameo) - Seen with The Boys other mothers, before they go on a trip to the rain forest.
- "Spontaneous Combustion"
- "The Succubus" - Takes her son to an eye doctor in order to get has eyes checked.
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
- "Sexual Harassment Panda"
- "Cat Orgy" - Leaves Shelly Marsh to babysit Cartman.
- "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub" (cameo) - Seen at the meteor shower party.
- "Chinpokomon" - Buys Cartman a chinpokomon toy.
- "Hooked on Monkey Fonics" - Buys Cartman a monkey to help him in practice for the spelling bee.
- "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics" (cameo) - Seen in the Holy night song and during the final song.
- "The Tooth Fairy Tats 2000" - Tells Cartman that the tooth-fairy is not real.
- "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000" - Upset with Cartman for throwing a rock at Token Black.
- "Quintuplets 2000" - Goes to the French-Canadian performance along with Cartman the other main character's families.
- "Timmy 2000" Buys Cartman Ritalin as treatment for ADD, she later starts taking it her self along with other parents in South Park.
- "Something You Can Do with Your Finger" (on video tape) - She appears on a sex tape with Mr. Mackey.
- "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?"
- "Probably" - Tries to get her son to go back school.
- "Trapper Keeper" - Stan Marsh, Kyle Broflovski and Kenny McCormick try to convince to her not to buy Cartman a new trapper keeper, but instead takes VSM-471 off to her bedroom to have sex.
- "Cherokee Hair Tampons"
- "Fat Camp" - Sends Cartman to fat camp.
- "The Wacky Molestation Adventure" - Arrested for sexually abusing Cartman along with Chef and another unnamed man. Like every adult in town.
- "Proper Condom Use" (cameo)
- "Cartmanland" - Goes to her mother's funeral.
- "Here Comes the Neighborhood" - Seen with Cartman going into a welfare building.
- "Kenny Dies" - Tells Cartman that Kyle and Stan need to talk to him downstairs.
- "Freak Strike" - Goes on TV with Cartman to talk about how out of control he is.
- "Fun with Veal" - Sneaks food for Butters, Kyle, Stan and Cartman.
- "The Simpsons Already Did It" - Proud that Cartman is god of the sea people.
- "Red Hot Catholic Love" - Becomes atheist along with everyone else in town.
- "Child Abduction is Not Funny" - Seen saying goodbye to her son.
- "A Ladder to Heaven" - Tells Cartman off for drinking Kenny's ashes.
- "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers"
- "The Death Camp of Tolerance" Sends Cartman to "The Death Camp of Tolerance".
- "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" - Goes with Cartman and Chef to get Kenny's soul out of his body.
- "Red Sleigh Down" (cameo) - Seen in the crowd during Jimmy's song.
- "I'm a Little Bit Country" - Seen in the hospital with Cartman.
- "Lil' Crime Stoppers" - Scolds her son for coming home late from police duty.
- "Red Man's Greed" (cameo) - Seen in the crowd.
- "South Park is Gay!" - Seen with numerous other mothers.
- "Butt Out" - Angry at Cartman for smoking and burning down the school.
- "It's Christmas in Canada" (cameo) - Seen at the town meeting and agrees with Chef's idea to give money to the Broflovski's.
- "Good Times with Weapons" (cameo) - Seen at the town meeting with her son.
- "Up the Down Steroid" - Her son manipulates, her into signing him up the for Special Olympics.
- "The Passion of the Jew"
- "AWESOM-O" - Lets her son go to Los Angeles with Butters.
- "The Jeffersons" (cameo)
- "Goobacks" (cameo)
- "Douche and Turd" (cameo) - Seen in the background.
- "Cartman's Incredible Gift"
- "Die Hippie, Die"
- "The Losing Edge" - Seen watching baseball.
- "The Death of Eric Cartman" - A plumber has sex with her.
- "Erection Day" - Seen watching Eric Cartman perform in the talent show.
- "The Return of Chef" (cameo) - Seen at Chef's funeral.
- "Smug Alert!"
- "Tsst" - Hires numerous nannies to help control her son's behavior.
- "Make Love, Not Warcraft" - Supplies The Boys with everything they need including a blow for Cartman to crap as they play their video game World of Warcraft.
- "Mystery of the Urinal Deuce" (cameo)
- "Go God Go" - Tells her son that he needs to be patient.
- "Go God Go XII" - Goes to the video game store to get Eric Cartman.
- "Cartman Sucks"
- "Le Petit Tourette"
- "Tonsil Trouble" - Shocked that her son has HIV.
- "Britney's New Look" (cameo) - Seen taking photos of Britney Spears, along with many other people.
- "Major Boobage" (cameo) - Seen in the crowd towards the end of the episode.
- "Over Logging" (cameo) - Seen in the crowd at the end of the episode.
- "The China Probrem" - Tells her son that the Chinese are not going to get him.
- "Breast Cancer Show Ever" - Goes with her son to the Testaburger Residence.
- "The Ungroundable" - Calls Butters' parents, when Butters believes he's a vampire.
- "The Ring" (cameo) - Seen at Kenny's funeral.
- "Margaritaville" (cameo) - Seen in the crowd.
- "Sexual Healing"(cameo) - Seen at Kenny's funeral.
- "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs"
- "201" - Reveals that she is Eric mother after all as the events of "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" was a lie.
- "Medicinal Fried Chicken" - Drives Cartman to KFC to get fried chicken.
- "It's a Jersey Thing" (cameo) - Seen trying to make people from New Jersey to go home.
- "Coon 2: Hindsight" - Grounds Cartman for the use of bad language and beating up his friends, also she drives Coon and Friends to the burning building.
- "Coon vs. Coon & Friends" - Extends Cartman's grounding for leaving the house, in order to get passed her he use the LeBorn James technique.
- "HUMANCENTiPAD" - Upset that Cartman embarrassed her on both TV and in Best Buy, as a result she refuses to buy him anything and takes him home.
- "T.M.I". - Seen at anger management therapy with Cartman.
- "You're Getting Old" - Gives Cartman a present, in order to keep him from getting upset.
- "The Last of the Meheecans" - Ask Eric if he wants to say "hi" to his Grandfather.
- "1%" - She and Cartman stay at the Black Residence due to the fire Cartman had started.
- "The Poor Kid" - Framed by his Cartman for having meth lab at her home.
- "Reverse Cowgirl" (cameo)
- "Cartman Finds Love" - Sees her son chasing after his imaginary friend, Cupid Me, by the bathroom.
- "Sarcastaball" - Seen at the Stotch Residence along with several other parents.
- "Raising the Bar" - Seen in Token Black's video.
- "Obama Wins!" - Grounds Cartman for hiding the election ballots.
- "Let Go, Let Gov"
- "Titties and Dragons" - Tells her son Bill Gates is on the phone.
- "Gluten Free Ebola" (cameo) - Seen at the town meeting.
- "The Magic Bush"
- "Grounded Vindaloop" - Gives Cartman some food, while he is in virtual reality coma.
- "The City Part of Town"- Seen at the Whole Foods Market.
- "Tweek x Craig" - Walks in the bathroom where Cartman is having sex with Cupid Me, which in reality was Cartman masturbating.
- "PC Principal Final Justice"- Buys a gun along with the other South Park residents, including her son Eric, and points her gun at Eric for staying up past his bedtime to watch a movie. She ends up winning.
- "Skank Hunt" - Seen at the school assembly.
- "Fort Collins" - Seen in Cartman's flashback walking out of the movie theater after having seen Ghostbusters and asks if he liked the movie.
- "White People Renovating Houses" - Talks to Heidi about Eric's behavior.
- "Put It Down" - Seen at the school assembly.
- "Franchise Prequel" - Participates in a meeting with the other parents.
- ↑ ""South Park" Cartman Gets an Anal Probe (TV episode 1997)". IMDb.com.
- ↑ ""South Park" The Tooth Fairy's Tats 2000 (TV episode 2000)". IMDb.com.
- ↑ ""South Park" Up the Down Steroid (TV episode 2004)". IMDb.com.