|December 2015 Featured Article Winner|
Officer Barbrady is a former police officer, with a relatively poor vocabulary. He is extremely incompetent at his job, usually being incapable of solving the crimes he is legally obliged to investigate. Despite this, he does manage to maintain the balance of peace in South Park as shown in "Chickenlover" when shortly after he retired the city fell into chaos.
In "Naughty Ninjas", he was fired from his job as a police officer for shooting an unarmed 6 year old Latino boy. Following that, he was temporarily reinstated to combat ISIS in "SoDoSoPa". However, he was fired yet again for shooting children playing ninjas.
In the episode "Toilet Paper", Barbrady talks about an abusive upbringing, saying how his uncle Charles would beat him with a belt. Furthermore, his father would dress him like a girl and make him sit on his uncles' laps, highlighting sexual abuse.
For the first six seasons, Officer Barbrady was the only Police Officer in South Park, as shown in "Chickenlover". However, during the seventh season, Sergeant Yates and several other officers were added, starting in "Lil' Crime Stoppers" and Officer Barbrady became the Police Chief. Since then, he has appeared in the background, and as shown in "Die Hippie, Die" and "Erection Day", it has seemingly been so long his voice has actually changed. However, his voice seems to have returned to normal once again in "The Snuke".
It appears that the decline in his role made him a lot more competent, as in "Quest for Ratings", he arrests a pharmacist for selling drugs to minors, in "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub", he questions the evidence for a "religious cult" in Mr. Mackey's house party, he realizes his mistake when he gives Jimmy directions to a sleazy part of town, shows apparent discomfort after helping to kill Britney Spears in "Britney's New Look", and told Randy that South Park was being ravaged in "Pandemic". He also tried to stop the Obama supporters from disturbing the peace in "About Last Night...", but fails and his patrol car gets tipped over by rowdy supporters.
Barbrady was illiterate until the episode "Chickenlover" when the Chickenlover enacted a plot to make him read by having sex with chickens. Barbrady was also sent to school to learn how to read by the Mayor. The Chickenlover made Barbrady learn where he would strike next by reading the clues left at the crime scenes. When the arrest was finally made, Barbrady acted gratefully to the Chickenlover, but had to arrest him nonetheless for being a gallophile. Chickenlover then gave him the book Atlas Shrugged which Barbrady thought was "a load of crap" and made him realize reading is "a waste of his time".
He wears a traditional blue police officer's uniform, and black sunshades. He appears to be slightly overweight. Barbrady is likely near deaf; he wears a hearing aid and speaks in a loud, expressionless manner. Of note, he has not been seen without the sunglasses except during the ending of "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe", but his eyes, mouth and cheeks are changed due to the alien control and so it was unknown what he looked like without his sunglasses until "Naughty Ninjas" where he was forced to give up his police belongings including his sunglasses. He now wears a brown jacket over a blue dress shirt and gray trousers.
- To see images of Officer Barbrady, visit Officer Barbrady/Gallery.
Officer Barbrady fits the personality of an oaf: unintelligent, willing to use unnecessary force, etc. He is illiterate and illogical, and is prone to make foolish decisions, often making the incident even worse. However, in "Naughty Ninjas", he does appear to have a compassionate side. When he is fired as policeman and returns home to his dog, he promises her that he will get another job in order to pay for her medicine. "You know me," he says to the pooch, "I like to be needed."
In "Chickenlover", Barbrady is revealed to have a wife. She is mentioned again in "Spookyfish". However, she has yet to appear and is seldom mentioned. In "Naughty Ninjas", a picture of her is shown hanging in Barbrady's apartment; she never appeared physically in the episode which suggests that she either divorced Barbrady or died.
In "Naughty Ninjas", he is shown to live alone with his very elderly sick dog who he called by an affectionate name.
Many episodes which feature both Barbrady and Mayor McDaniels, it is implied that they are in a relationship - in "Pinkeye", they are seen "not wearing any pants" (Barbrady in lingerie) and McDaniels shirt open, insisting to Chef it has "nothing to do with the Japanese mafia". In "Summer Sucks", McDaniels is at her desk when suddenly Barbrady's voices comes up asking where the "little man in the boat" is. McDaniels tells him to keep looking and at the end of the scene, swoons when he says he's found him. Despite this, in "Spontaneous Combustion", McDaniels is seen reading "Jugs" and in "The Coon", Cartman questions the Mayor's sexuality, implying that their relationship is secret.
Also, despite the fact that Barbrady is generally portrayed as a bumbling oaf, the Mayor still tended to call on him up until Season Seven. This is due to the fact that until then he was the only officer in the town.
In "Naughty Ninjas" it is revealed that Barbrady takes care of an elderly female dog.
- Officer Barbrady doesn't drink coffee, as seen in the episode "Gnomes". He instead prefers to get hit in the face by a cat swung by the tail.
- At the South Park Studios FAQ, it's mentioned that Barbrady has been too busy taking reading classes to do police work.
- Officer Barbrady has a Long Island accent, particularly noticeable in "Erection Day".
- Barbrady did not appear at all in seasons 16, and 18 and did not speak at all in season 10 and 13.
- Ironically, Season 19 is the first time Officer Barbrady and Sergeant Yates engage in dialogue.
- It has been implied that Barbrady is the towns Elected Sheriff.
- In Season 19, he has been shown working hand in hand with the rest of the South Park PD.
- In a commentary on Season Nineteen, Matt Stone and Trey Parker have confirmed Barbrady has been written out of the show for the foreseeable future, making him the first character to be taken out of the show without dying.
- In "Splatty Tomato", Barbrady can be seen wearing his police uniform at the end of the episode which possibly means that he was reinstated as a police officer after the event of "PC Principal Final Justice".
- "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" - He help Farmer Denkins with his cows.
- "Weight Gain 4000" - Tells Mr Garrison to go to the book depository for 'looking' at Kathie Lee Clifford. Later arrests Mr. Garrison for attempted murder.
- "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride" (cameo)
- "Pinkeye" - Disbelieves Chef's theory about the zombies.
- "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo" - He tells Kyle it's illegal for Jews to eat Christmas snow.
- "Tom's Rhinoplasty" (cameo) - Seen watching football.
- "Mecha-Streisand" - Tells The Boys to get to school even though it is Saturday.
- "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" - Is a potential father for Eric Cartman.
- "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut"
- "Chickenlover" - When he gains literacy, he helps the boys solve a mystery.
- "Ike's Wee Wee" -
- "Conjoined Fetus Lady"
- "Summer Sucks"
- "Roger Ebert Should Lay off the Fatty Foods" - Stan and Kyle ask him to go and arrest Dr. Tristan Adams, but hypnotized by the laser machine and convinced he is that Elvis Presley.
- "Chef Aid" - Arrest Mr Garrison after an incident with Mr Twig.
- "Cow Days" - Kyle declared shenanigans against the rigged ball game, and Stan called him "Officer Buttbaby".
- "Spookyfish" - He questions "Sharon Marsh" about the murders, and ends up getting tied up in the Marshes' basement for the rest of the episode.
- "Prehistoric Ice Man"
- "Spontaneous Combustion" - Tells people to keep away from a burnt Kenny.
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (cameo)
- "Jakovasaurs" - Participates in a game show against Jakov, which he ends up winning.
- "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub" - He is part of the stakeout; his first act of competency, as he questions the ATF's evidence.
- "Cartman Joins NAMBLA" - He ignores the request from NAMBLA to release child molesters.
- "Scott Tenorman Must Die" - He unintentionally distracts Farmer Denkins.
- "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" - He and other officers confront Rob Schneider, as Kenny McCormick, trying to kiss Millie Larsen.
- "Toilet Paper" - He interrogates Josh.
- "Grey Dawn" - He arrests Grandpa Marsh.
- "Douche and Turd " - One of the townsfolk spitting on Stan when he refused to vote.
- "Quest for Ratings" - He arrests a pharmacist.
- "Die Hippie, Die" - He keeps Cartman in Jail for kidnapping Hippies.
- "Erection Day" - He accidentally sends Jimmy to a ghetto part of the town.
- "The Snuke" - He alerts the rest of the Police to Cartman's plan.
- "About Last Night..." - Tries to stop the Obama supporters from disturbing the peace but fails, his patrol car is also tipped over.
- "Fishsticks" - Seen in the background.
- "Medicinal Fried Chicken" - He asks Cartman if everything is all right in an alley and it's at the shoot out in Billy Miller's house, which he ends up killing his mom.
- "200" - Tries to make people leave in orderly fashion. He makes many appearances but has few lines.
- "It's a Jersey Thing" - Part of the team that goes to Skeeter's Bar and finds Snooki.
- "Ass Burgers" - Finds Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny skipping school to find out what Asperger's (the syndrome Stan has in episode) has is and brings them back to class.
- "Let Go, Let Gov" - Admits to masturbating to Game of Thrones at the DMV.
- "The City Part of Town" - Seen eating with Sergeant Harrison Yates in the new SoDoSopa shopping district.
- "Naughty Ninjas" - His first major role in 12 years. He is fired from the police force for shooting a 6 year old Latino boy. After he is brought back in, he is fired a second time, this time for pulling his gun out on the boys, despite the request from Mayor McDaniels to do so.
- "Sponsored Content"- He saves Jimmy from the GEICO employee attempting to put advertisements in his newspaper.
- "Truth and Advertising"- The newsman orders him to shoot Jimmy and Leslie for attempting to escape from the newsman base. Instead, he helps them escape, accidentally shooting one of the newsman in the process.
- "PC Principal Final Justice" - Goes to the gun show with Jimmy Valmer and Classi to stop the ads.
- "Splatty Tomato" - (cameo) Seen at the end of the episode in the crowd in his police officer uniform.